Reports of squatters at old Bolton Mark and Spenser 2026

In Bolton Town Centre News by News Desk February 9, 2026 - 11:28 PM

Reports of squatters at old Bolton Mark and Spenser

Credit: Google Maps, Gustavo Fring from Pexels

Key Points

  • Possible squatters seen at former M&S
  • Building sits empty in Bolton town centre
  • Police called to investigate reports
  • No arrests made at this stage
  • Concerns grow over safety and security
  • Squatters’ reports at former Bolton Marks & Spencer site in 2026

Bolton (Bolton Today) February 9, 2026 – Possible squatters have been reported at the former Marks & Spencer building in Bolton town centre, prompting concern among residents and traders about safety and the future of the vacant site.
​As reported by The Bolton News, local residents have raised alarms after noticing signs that people may be occupying the disused M&S premises on Churchgate, which has stood empty since the retailer closed its doors in the town centre. The reports come amid wider unease about the number of vacant commercial properties in Bolton and how they are being managed.

What exactly has been reported?

Residents told The Bolton News they had seen people entering and leaving the former Marks & Spencer building late at night, with some describing lights and movement inside the otherwise darkened structure.

One local resident, speaking on condition of anonymity, said: “There are definitely people going in and out at odd hours. It doesn’t look right for a building that’s supposed to be shut.”


​Another shopper, who passes the site daily, added: “It’s worrying because it’s such a big empty space right in the middle of town. If people are in there without permission, it could become a safety issue.”
The reports were passed to Greater Manchester Police, who confirmed officers had been called to the area to investigate. A police spokesperson said: “We are aware of reports of possible squatters at the former Marks & Spencer site in Bolton town centre and have carried out checks in the area.”

​Have any arrests been made?

According to the same police statement, no arrests have been made at this stage, and officers have not yet confirmed whether anyone was found inside the building. The force added that investigations are ongoing and that officers would continue to monitor the site as part of routine patrols.

​Local councillor and community safety lead Cllr Paul Wharton‑Hardman told The Bolton News: “We take reports of possible squatters very seriously, especially in prominent town‑centre locations. The safety of residents and shoppers is our priority, and we are working closely with the police and building owners to ensure the site is secure.”

​What is the status of the former M&S building?

The former Marks & Spencer store on Churchgate has been vacant since the retailer’s exit from the town centre, which was part of a wider restructuring of the company’s high‑street presence. The building is owned by a private property company, which has not publicly disclosed detailed plans for its future use.

​A spokesperson for the owners, speaking to The Bolton News, said: “We are aware of the reports and are liaising with the local authority and police. The building is under active management and we are taking steps to ensure it remains secure.”

​Bolton Council has previously highlighted the challenge of empty commercial units in the town centre, noting that long‑term vacancies can attract anti‑social behaviour and reduce footfall.

Why are people worried about squatters?

Squatters in commercial buildings can pose a range of risks, including fire hazards, damage to property, and potential confrontations with members of the public or emergency services. In recent years, several towns across Greater Manchester have reported similar incidents at vacant retail units, prompting councils and police to step up joint patrols and security measures.

Local business owners around Churchgate told The Bolton News they were concerned that an occupied empty building could deter shoppers and damage the town centre’s reputation.

Under current UK law, squatting in residential buildings is a criminal offence, but the position is more complex for commercial premises. In non‑residential buildings, owners typically have to use civil procedures to regain possession, which can take time and may involve court orders.
​Legal experts quoted by The Bolton News explained that if someone is found to be unlawfully occupying a commercial property, the owner can apply for an interim possession order, which allows police to remove them.
​Police in Bolton have urged anyone with information about suspicious activity at the former M&S site to contact them via the non‑emergency number or online reporting channels.

​What does this mean for Bolton’s town centre?

The reports at the former Marks & Spencer site come at a time when Bolton Council is pushing forward with regeneration plans aimed at revitalising the town centre. Recent initiatives include improved lighting, enhanced CCTV coverage, and efforts to attract new businesses into empty units.
​Community groups have also called for more transparency about the future of key sites such as the former M&S building.
Residents and traders have expressed a mix of concern and frustration about the situation. Some have welcomed the fact that police are monitoring the site, while others feel more visible security measures are needed.
​What happens next?

Greater Manchester Police have indicated they will continue to patrol the area and respond to any further reports of suspicious activity at the former Marks & Spencer site. The building’s owners have also said they are reviewing security arrangements and liaising with local authorities to ensure the property is properly safeguarded.

Bolton Council has reiterated its commitment to tackling empty commercial units and reducing opportunities for anti‑social behaviour.
For now, the reports of possible squatters at the former Bolton Marks & Spencer building remain unconfirmed, but they have reignited debate about how the town manages its vacant spaces and protects the safety and reputation of its town centre in 2026.