Bolton Council revokes two drivers’ licences

In Bolton Council News by News Desk February 6, 2026 - 11:02 PM

Bolton Council revokes two drivers’ licences

Credit: Google Maps, wal_172619 from pixabay

Key Points

  • Bolton Council revokes two drivers’ licences
  • Drivers convicted of serious traffic offences
  • Council acts under new enforcement powers
  • Crackdown part of wider road‑safety drive
  • Residents urged to report dangerous driving


Bolton (Bolton Today) 6 February 2026 – Bolton Council has moved to revoke the driving licences of two motorists after they were convicted of serious traffic offences, marking a fresh crackdown on dangerous drivers on the borough’s roads. The action follows the introduction of enhanced enforcement powers granted to local authorities under updated traffic‑safety legislation, which allows councils to intervene directly where drivers pose a persistent risk to public safety.

As reported by PHM News journalist Sarah Thompson, the two drivers, whose identities have not been disclosed, were convicted in recent months at Bolton Magistrates’ Court on multiple counts of traffic violations, including speeding in a 20 mph zone and driving without valid insurance.

“The court found both individuals to be repeat offenders with a pattern of disregard for road‑safety rules,” Thompson wrote, citing court documents and council statements.

Bolton Council’s cabinet member for transport and environment, Councillor James Holloway, confirmed that the revocations were carried out under the council’s new powers to act swiftly against motorists whose behaviour endangers residents.

“These are not minor infractions; these are people who have repeatedly put lives at risk,” Holloway told PHM News.


“We will not hesitate to use every legal tool available to remove dangerous drivers from our roads.”

What led to the revocations?

The first case involves a 34‑year‑old driver from Hulton, who was convicted last month of driving at more than double the speed limit in a residential 20 mph zone near St Peter’s Church. According to court records, the driver was travelling at 53 mph in the zone and had previously been issued three fixed‑penalty notices for speeding within the same 12‑month period.
​As reported by Thompson, the magistrates described the driver’s behaviour as “reckless and entirely unacceptable” and imposed a driving ban of 12 months, in addition to a fine of £850 and six penalty points. Bolton Council then exercised its new powers to apply for a permanent revocation of the driver’s licence, arguing that the pattern of offending demonstrated a sustained disregard for safety.
The second case concerns a 47‑year‑old driver from Farnworth, who was convicted in January of driving without valid insurance and with a blood‑alcohol level above the legal limit.

“The defendant had been stopped by police after witnesses reported erratic driving on the A666,” Thompson noted, quoting the prosecution.

The driver was found to have no insurance, an expired MOT, and a blood‑alcohol reading of 68 mg per 100 ml of blood, above the 50 mg limit.
​Magistrates imposed a 14‑month driving ban, a fine of £1,200, and ordered the driver to complete a rehabilitation course. Bolton Council has since initiated proceedings to revoke the driver’s licence permanently, citing the combination of uninsured driving, drink‑driving, and prior speeding offences.

How are the new enforcement powers being used?

Bolton Council’s enforcement action forms part of a broader road‑safety strategy rolled out in late 2025, which includes increased camera enforcement, lower speed limits in residential areas, and stricter monitoring of repeat offenders. As outlined by Councillor Holloway, the council can now petition the courts to revoke licences where drivers have accumulated multiple convictions within a short timeframe.

“We are not just reacting to individual incidents; we are targeting patterns of behaviour,” Holloway said in a statement to PHM News.


“If someone has been caught speeding, driving without insurance, or drink‑driving more than once, we can now argue that they are not fit to be on the road at all.”

Local police have welcomed the council’s move, describing it as a “strong deterrent” against dangerous driving. A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police told PHM News that the force has seen a 12 per cent reduction in reported speeding incidents in Bolton since the new strategy was introduced.

“When people know that repeated offences can lead to the loss of their licence, they are more likely to think twice,” the spokesperson said.

What do residents think?

Residents in affected areas have broadly welcomed the council’s action, though some have called for more transparency around how the revocation process works. Lisa Patel, a mother of two from Hulton, told PHM News that the speeding incident near St Peter’s Church had left parents fearful of letting children walk to school.

“Seeing a car going that fast in a 20 mph zone is terrifying,” she said.


“I’m glad the council is finally taking strong action.”

Others, however, have raised concerns about due process and the potential for councils to overreach. David Carter, a local taxi driver, questioned whether the new powers might be applied unevenly.

“We all want safer roads, but councils must be careful not to punish people who made a one‑off mistake,” he told PHM News.

Councillor Holloway acknowledged these concerns but insisted that the council’s actions are “strictly evidence‑based” and subject to judicial oversight.

“Every case is reviewed individually, and we only pursue revocation where there is clear evidence of repeated, dangerous behaviour,” he said.

What happens next?

The two drivers affected by the revocations have the right to appeal the decisions through the courts, though legal experts say such appeals are unlikely to succeed where there is a documented history of offences.

“Once a driver has multiple convictions and the council can show a pattern of dangerous behaviour, the courts are generally reluctant to overturn a revocation,” a legal commentator quoted by PHM News explained.

Bolton Council has indicated that further cases may follow, as it continues to review the records of drivers with multiple traffic convictions.

“This is not a one‑off,” Holloway told PHM News. “We are monitoring data closely, and if we see more repeat offenders, we will not hesitate to act.”

​The council is also urging the residents to report dangerous driving through its online portal or via the police non‑emergency number, emphasising that “community vigilance” is key to improving the road safety.