Racist Attack on Muslim Teen Sparks Outrage in Bolton Town Centre

In Bolton Town Centre News by News Desk December 30, 2025 - 8:08 PM

Racist-Attack-on-Muslim-Teen-Sparks-Outrage-in-Bolton-Town-Centre-image

Credit: Google Street View/Golib

Key Points

  • A 17-year-old Muslim girl was allegedly assaulted with coffee and subjected to racial abuse in Bolton town centre on Sunday, December 28.
  • The girl and her mother were leaving the Market Place Shopping Centre when the incident occurred.
  • The attacker, described as a white man in his mid-to-late 30s or early 40s, was reportedly seen leaving McDonald’s on Knowsley Street before the alleged assault.
  • The victim’s uncle said his niece has been left shaken and afraid to visit town.
  • Councillor Hanif Alli condemned the attack, calling it “cowardly” and urging community unity against racism.
  • Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed awareness of the incident and encouraged witnesses to come forward.
  • The attack has reignited local discussions on racism, Islamophobia, and safety for minority communities in Bolton.

A 17-year-old Muslim girl was reportedly attacked with coffee and racially abused by a stranger in Bolton’s town centre on Sunday afternoon, sparking community outrage and condemnation from local leaders.

What happened in Bolton town centre?

According to The Bolton News, the incident occurred on the afternoon of Sunday, December 28, as the teenage girl and her mother were leaving the Market Place Shopping Centre. In an interview with reporter Chris Gee of The Bolton News, the victim’s uncle, who lives in Halliwell, stated that a man emerging from the Knowsley Street McDonald’s “threw coffee in her face and called her a ‘Pki btch.’”

Speaking to the same outlet, the uncle described his niece as “badly shaken” and now afraid of returning to the town centre.

“We’ve now had to make arrangements so that she doesn’t have to go through the town,”

he said.

“This is a growing girl at a time when we need to be building up her confidence.”

The uncle emphasised that his family’s fears extend beyond this attack.

“We’ve all got nephews and nieces, and when something like this happens, it shows it can happen to others as well. All our families feel like they need to take precautions,”

he told The Bolton News. He added,

“It’s bad enough doing it to anyone, but doing it to a young girl—I told her: ‘he’s a coward.’”

Who is the suspect and what do we know so far?

The suspect has been described as a white man in his mid-30s to around 40 years old. The girl told her family that he appeared to have purchased coffee from the McDonald’s on Knowsley Street before carrying out the assault.

The uncle shared that the man was on his own when the incident occurred.

“We know where he’s bought coffee from and we know what route he’s taken,”

he said, expressing hope that surveillance cameras in the area will help identify the perpetrator.

He added,

“Hopefully then at least he’ll be taken to court and he’ll know he can’t do this again.”

How did authorities respond to the incident?

According to The Bolton News, a police officer visited the family later that same day to take an initial statement. Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed to multiple outlets, including Asian Image, that they are aware of the incident and investigating.

A spokesperson for GMP told The Bolton News:

“We are aware of a racially aggravated incident reported in Bolton on Sunday, December 28. Enquiries are ongoing, and anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101 or dial 999 in an emergency.”

The victim’s uncle also reported the matter to Halliwell councillor Hanif Alli, who responded by strongly condemning the attack and reaffirming community solidarity.

How did Cllr Hanif Alli react to the racist attack?

In statements shared with Asian Image and The Bolton News, Cllr Hanif Alli said the incident highlights ongoing concerns about racism and Islamophobia in the UK.

“This type of behaviour will not be tolerated and we have zero tolerance in Bolton for racist and Islamophobic attacks like this,”

he said.

He added:

“Everyone should feel safe walking in town, and we are not ‘an island of strangers’ but a nation of neighbours! I am working closely with locals and the police to bring this thug to justice.”

Cllr Alli praised the police for their “swift response” and appealed to residents for unity against divisive behaviour.

“I would also like to thank GMP for their quick action in this matter as it is imperative that we all work together to stamp out this societal cancer,”

he told Asian Image.

What has been the community’s response?

The alleged attack has sparked widespread concern among Bolton residents, many of whom have shared messages of support on social media. Local community advocacy groups have also called for improved safety measures for young women and minority communities.

Faith leaders in the area have reiterated appeals for calm and mutual understanding, warning that such incidents risk undermining social cohesion.

While GMP has not yet confirmed any arrests, local residents have suggested that CCTV cameras on Knowsley Street and near the Market Place Shopping Centre could be crucial in tracing the suspect’s movements.

How does this incident reflect wider issues of racism in the UK?

The alleged attack comes amid ongoing discussions about rising Islamophobia and hate crimes across Britain. According to Home Office data published earlier this year, racially and religiously motivated offences remain among the most frequently reported hate crimes in England and Wales.

Cllr Alli expressed concern that political rhetoric and online misinformation continue to embolden individuals who target minorities. “The tone of public debate often fuels this type of behaviour,” he told The Bolton News, emphasising the need for education and empathy at a community level.

The councillor further stressed that the attacker’s behaviour does not represent most people in Bolton.

“People like this man do not speak for our town,”

he insisted.

“Bolton is built on respect and diversity, and we all must stand together to prove that hate has no home here.”

What happens next in the investigation?

Greater Manchester Police have urged anyone who may have seen the incident or has information about the suspect to come forward. The force can be contacted via 101, while emergencies should be reported through 999.

Investigators are reportedly reviewing CCTV footage from Knowsley Street, including McDonald’s and the surrounding shopping area, to trace the suspect’s movements and verify witness accounts.

As the girl recovers from her ordeal, her family hopes justice will be served swiftly and fairly.

“We just want him caught so no one else has to go through this,”

her uncle told The Bolton News.

Why does this matter for Bolton and beyond?

Incidents like this reinforce ongoing concerns about the safety and inclusion of Muslim communities, particularly young women, in public spaces. Local leaders, including Cllr Alli, have stated that addressing these acts of intolerance requires not just police action but collective civic will.

Community groups are expected to hold discussions in the coming days to explore support measures for the affected family and ways to strengthen unity across Bolton’s diverse population.

As reported by The Bolton News, the girl’s family remains hopeful that the perpetrator will be held accountable, providing a sense of reassurance not only for their niece but for the wider community.

The case continues to serve as a sobering reminder — as Cllr Alli put it — “that what we permit, we promote, and silence in the face of hate is never an option.”